(Post updated September 2013)
We have been listening to the How to Train Your Dragon books on audio lately and I must say I love them. David Tennant does an absolutely stella job of doing all the different voices, and although some of the audio versions are abridged, you certainly can’t tell anything is missing. Now, since my nine year old, Liam, has been living and breathing Dragonese for the past few weeks, and is saving up to buy the fourth book, I decided to let him earn some money by co-authoring this post for me (he gets the – very small – commission if anyone actually buys How to Train Your Dragon from one of the links on this page).
You see, I noticed that quite a lot of people are searching on the term “how to train your dragon names”, which leads me to the assumption that people are looking for a list of names from the book/s or movie. That’s a safe assumption right? If you came to this page after putting that search into Google and were looking for something else, do let me know! In the meantime, and without further ado, here are the names (book first).
1. Names of the Vikings in How to Train Your Dragon
- Our Hero: Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third
- Fishlegs (Hiccup’s best friend)
- Snotface Snotlout (Hiccup’s cousin and arch rival)
- Dogs Breath the Duhbrain (Snotlout’s side kick)
- Tuffnut junior
Adult Vikings of the Hairy Hooligans Tribe
- Stoik the Vast (Tribe Chief and father of Hiccup)
- Valhallarama – wife of Stoick the Vast and mother of Hiccup
- Gobber the Belch (chief trainer of the boys)
- Baggybum the Beer Belly (Stoik’s brother and the father of Snotlout)
- Old Wrinkly (Hiccup’s maternal grandfather, and most ancient member of the Hairy Hooligan Tribe)
- Camicazi & her mother Big Boobie Bertha are not actually in the first book, but become important characters (particularly Camicazi) from the third book on. Big Boobie Bertha is the Chief of the Bog Burgler Tribe.
- Mogadon the Meathead (Chief of the Meathead Tribe)
- Thuggery (Mogadon’s son)
- Hairy Scary Libarian
- Professor Yobbish author of “How to Train Your Dragon” (the original book, which has only one instruction – Yell At It!)
- The Little Supper – The Green Death’s nickname for Hiccup
2. Names of the Dragons in How to Train Your Dragon
- Toothless – Hiccup’s dragon (common or garden dragon, though sometimes refered to as a Toothless Daydream)
- Horrorcow – Fishlegs’s dragon (basic brown dragon)
- Fireworm – Snotlout’s dragon, though by tradition it should have been Hiccup’s since it is a Monstrous Nightmare
- Seaslug – Dogs Breath’s dragon
- Killer – Thuggery’s dragon
- Newt’s Breath and Hookfang – Stoik’s hunting dragons
- The Green Death & The Purple Death - Seadragonus Giganticus Maximuses who think of eating the whole Mogadon and Hairy Hooligan’s tribes.
As for the movie, most of the characters are the same, but there are a few extra ones in the movie (including characters who appear in later books), and a few changes, such as Toothless being a Night Fury instead of a common or garden dragon), and Fishlegs being a minor character quite different to his character in the books. So the How to Train Your Dragon: Characters in the Movie, (and the differences) is another post.
How to Train Your Dragon Books in Order
- How to Be a Pirate
- How To Speak Dragonese
- How to Cheat a Dragon’s Curse
- How to Twist a Dragon’s Tale
- A Hero’s Guide to Deadly Dragons
- How to Ride a Dragon’s Storm
- How to Break a Dragon’s Heart
- How to Steal a Dragon’s Sword
- How to Seize a Dragon’s Jewel
- And finally, How to Betray a Dragon’s Hero available for pre-order on Amazon (US version available in January 2014), or right now on Fishpond!